Learn to Lead
Preparing You to Lead Small Groups
Churches know that small groups are key to spiritual formation and vitality in their congregations. Yet many are floundering for lack of small group leadership, especially when it comes to leading Bible studies. We can help you change all that.
Exploring the Bible: The Dickinson Series is a proven Bible study system, showing that even those who know little about the Bible can learn to lead. But we go beyond just introducing you to that material.
In this six-hour workshop, you will:
- Learn the basics of leading any small group.
- Build confidence in leading a Bible study.
- Understand the difference between teaching and facilitating.
- Learn how to use Exploring the Bible: The Dickinson Series*
- Practice the skills you’ve learned.
- Receive tips on recruiting your first group, even if you are in a small, rural church.
- Learn how to structure your group for success.
- Network with others who are learning to lead.
- Discuss ways to overcome the challenges of difficult personalities and group conflict.
Leading a small group Bible study is easier than you think! Our Exploring the Bible material is succeeding where prior attempts at Bible study have failed. Contact us to schedule a Learn to Lead workshop in your area.
*All workshop participants receive a free copy of both the student book and leader's guide for What Is the Bible? (The first course of Exploring the Bible: The Dickinson Series)
Cost and Responsibilities of a Workshop Host:
If you can promise us a minimum of 15 participants and host the event within the bounds of New England, we will bring our full workshop to you in exchange for a contribution in any amount to the Massachusetts Bible Society. In some cases pulpit supply is available for Sunday morning if you want to do a Saturday workshop and Sunday worship. For workshops outside of the region, please contact us to discuss travel and housing arrangements.
Note: Completing this workshop qualifies a participant to be a registered group leader for Exploring the Bible: The Dickinson Series.
We also ask that you provide:
- A meal (usually lunch) for participants. Whether you charge for this is up to you.
- Meals and lodging for the group facilitator(s) if you are more than an hour from Newton Center, MA. Housing with a host family is usually acceptable.
- Space for the workshop adequate to the number of participants where attendees can work around tables and move around easily.
- Someone to run registration, provide refreshments, and handle setup and takedown.
- An easel with newspring and markers, whiteboard, or other larger writing surface for the presenter(s).
- Publicity for the event to churches and denominational executives in the relevant regions. We can help you with flyers and bulletin inserts and will publicize to our own list, but we expect you to do the legwork in your area.